The India Pet Food Market is segmented By Pet Type (Dogs, Cats, Others), By Products (Dry Pet Food, Wet Pet Foods, Veterinary Diet, Treat/Snack, Other Products), By Distribution Channel (Specialized Pet Shop, Internet Sale, Hypermarket/Supermarket, Veterinary Clinic, and Pet Medical Shops, Others) and By Region (Northern Region, North-Eastern Region, Eastern Region, Central Region, Western Region, Southern Region)
The India Pet Food Market was estimated at US$ XXX Million in 2022 and is expected to reach US$ XXX Million by the end of 2032 with a CAGR of 17.34% during the forecast period.
Pet food is animal feed that is meant for consumption by pets such as cats, dogs, and other animals. The many types of pet food items provide amazing benefits such as improved digestion, a stronger immune system, reduced allergies, and other benefits. The pet food contains a variety of vitamins, carbs, protein, lipids, minerals, and preservatives, which enhance the animals body. In India, the concept of owning and caring for pets is a fairly urban phenomenon. The early deadlock of Indian consumers overspending on pets is gradually giving way to trends such as pet humanization and sensitization, as evidenced by the significant growth in adoption rates.
Pet Adoption as a Family Companion to Augment Market Growth
One of the main market drivers is projected to be the rising rate of pet ownership. Rising urbanisation and the humanization of pets are pushing pet owners to choose wholesome and high-quality food for their animals, which is further accelerating the markets growth rate. Consumers increased per capita incomes are encouraging them to spend money on organic and healthy pet food items to improve the health of their pets. Additionally, the simple accessibility of goods in a variety of price ranges is aiding the global markets expansion. They provide customers with a variety of options and financial statuses. Pet cafés and spas have grown in popularity over the years, increasing demand for new pet food products in the country.
Innovations to Drive Global India Pet Food Market
Fruits, vegetables, chicken, lamb, and other meats, along with additional preservatives, are added to the pet food to improve its colour, texture, and flavour. A new consumer base is being drawn into the market by the simple accessibility of pet food products across many distribution channels, including retail stores, online stores, supermarkets, and other venues. The major movement in consumer demand toward grain-free and vegan pet food products is creating new opportunities for the expansion of the pet food industry in India.
Personalized Pet Food to Support Market Growth
Personalization of pet food items has a lot of potential to increase dramatically as pet owners become more careful of the food they serve to their pets. Pet owners want more control over the materials used in the creation of pet food products, which presents a tremendous potential opportunity for brands or firms that offer specially made and tailored food products for pet animals. Furthermore, personalised food items have a lot of potential because some of them are effective in treating certain pet illnesses like obesity, dry skin, and so on. The combination of key players technical expertise and new players’ novel product techniques ensures the launch of new products with enhanced functionalities.
Lack of Awareness of Pet Nutrition will Hamper Market Growth
The benefits of feeding pet a nutritious diet and the significance of pet nutrition are not well understood by pet owners. This indicates that a large number of pet owners are unwilling to shell out the cash for high-end pet food items. The demand for specific items rises and falls at various seasons of the year, which is true of the pet food business. Because of this, it is challenging for producers to predict demand and maintain a steady supply of goods.
Northern India and Southern India Witness an Uproar in Pet Food Market
Northern India has the most pets, whereas cats and fish are the most popular pet options in southern India. North India will account for the largest share of the market, followed by South India, as a result of rising pet ownership, an increase in nuclear families, and a shift in consumer lifestyles. In addition, a significant element propelling the industry in both North and South India is the long-standing custom of homeowners keeping dogs as pets for protection and watchfulness.
Top Companies and Recent Strategic Developments
Key players including Mars Inc., Nestle SA (Purina), Royal Canin India, Eukanuba, Jerhigh have consolidated the global market. The strong pet food product portfolio and significant expenditure in research and development are credited with these companies dominance. Moreover, the rise in domestic market players focusing on developing customized pet food is focusing on providing competitive pricing, which is further estimated to cater to the increasing demand among developing markets across the globe.
• In November 2022, Mars Petcare announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Champion Petfoods, a major global pet food manufacturer, from a consortium of investors led by Bedford Capital and Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan.
• In August 2022, Pet food startup PawCo launched its proprietary dog food made from plant-based meats. According to the brand, it has invented the worlds first completely plant-based meat designed specifically for pet food.
• In October 2021, Mars pledges new climate action to achieve net zero emissions across the entire value chain by 2050, including all scope 3 emissions (as defined by SBTi) from agriculture and suppliers, all the way through to emissions from consumers who use its iconic
• In November 2020, KIND and Mars Announce the Next Step in Their Collaboration to Create a Kinder World and Bring Healthy Snacks to People Around the World
• In October 2020, Eukanuba, a Mars brand in India, introduced its premium line with performance nutrition, including the first dog food derived from high-quality animal proteins.
• In December 2019, Mars Petcare, which owns brands such as Pedigree and Whiskas, released its premium pet nutrition brand, IAMS, for dogs in India in December 2019. IAMS provides pet owners with a variety of specialised nutritional solutions based on breed, size, and age of the pet.
Years considered for this report
• Historical Years: 2019-2021
• Base Year: 2021
• Forecast Period: 2022-2032
India Pet Food Market Research Report Analysis Highlights
• Historical data available (as per request)
• Estimation/ projections/ forecast for revenue and unit sales (2022 - 2032)
• Data breakdown for application Industries (2022 - 2032)
• Integration and collaboration analysis of companies
• Capacity analysis with application sector breakdown
• Business trend and expansion analysis
• Import and export analysis
• Competition analysis/market share
• Supply chain analysis
• Client list and case studies
• Market entry strategies adopted by emerging companies
Industry Segmentation and Revenue Breakdown
Pet Type Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
Products Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Dry Pet Food
• Wet Pet Foods
• Veterinary Diet
• Other Product
Food Ingredients Type Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
Distribution Channel Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Specialized Pet Shops
• Veterinary Clinic and Pet Medical Shops
• Internet Sale
Region Type Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Northern Region
• North-Eastern Region
• Eastern Region
• Central Region
• Western Region
• Southern Region
• Mars Inc.
• Nestle SA (Purina)
• Nutriara Alimentos Ltd.
• Royal Canin India
• Uni-Charm Corp.,
• Holistic Select
• Eagle Pack
• Blue Buffalo
• Diamond Naturals
Available Versions of India Pet Food Market Report:
Global Pet Food Market Research Report
Malaysia Pet Food Market Research Report
South East Asia Pet Food Market Research Report
• Customization can be done in the existing research scope to cater to your specific requirements without any extra charges* (terms and conditions apply).
• Send us a query to get the Table of Contents and Research Scope along with the research proposal.
Fill out the sample request form OR reach out directly to David Correa at his email: -
Please fill in the form below to Request for free Sample Report
Office Hours Mon - Sat 10:00 - 16:00
Send Us Mail email@example.com
© 2018 Market Decipher. All Rights Reserved