The Orthopedic Implants Market is segmented By Product (Joint Reconstruction: Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement, Shoulder Replacement, Elbow Replacement, Others; Spinal Implants: Spinal Fusion Devices, Vertebral Compression Fracture (VCF) Devices, Motion Preservation Devices/Non-Fusion Devices; Trauma Fixation: Metal Plates & Screws, Pins/Wires, Nails & Rods, Others; Orthobiologics: Demineralized Bone Matrix (DBM), Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP), Viscosupplementation Products, Synthetic Bone Substitutes, Others; Dental Implants: Root Form Dental Implants, Plate Form Dental Implants; Others), By Application (Knee, Hip, Wrist & Shoulder, Dental, Spine, Ankle, Others), By Biomaterial (Metallic Biomaterials: Stainless Steel, Titanium Alloy, Cobalt Alloy, Others; Ceramic Biomaterials, Polymers Biomaterials, Others), By End User (Hospital, Orthopedic Clinics, Ambulatory Surgery Centres, Others) and By Country (U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Rest of South America, Germany, Italy, U.K., France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Turkey, Russia, Rest of Europe, Japan, China, India, South Korea, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Rest of Asia-Pacific, Saudi Arabia, U.A.E, South Africa, Egypt, Israel, Rest of Middle East and Africa)
The Orthopedic Implants Market was estimated at US$ 50.1 Billion in 2022 and is expected to reach US$75.4 Billion by the end of 2032 with a CAGR of 4.8% during the forecast period.
Orthopedic implants are medical devices that are used to replace or provide support to damaged bones or joints. These are fabricated using stainless steel and titanium alloys for strength, with a plastic coating that acts as artificial cartilage. These implants are applicable in orthopedic injuries, treatment of several types of arthritis, and fractures. Orthopedic implants are also useful in the prosthesis or joint replacement surgery, which is performed to remove the damaged joint and replace it with a new joint. The remarkable shift from traditional invasive procedures to minimally invasive surgeries has positively impacted market growth. According to a report published by the Journal of Orthopedic Surgery and Research in 2021, 18.3% of osteoporosis cases exist globally. It was predominantly found that the condition affects women (23.1%) more than men (11.7%).
Increasing Geriatric Population and Prevalence of Orthopedic Diseases to Augment Market Growth
As age progresses, the risk of developing bone disorders, fractures, and bone porosity are some of the issues that deem geriatrics a potential patient population for orthopedic implants. A report published by MDPI medicine 2021 reported the elderly being at a higher risk of fractures owing to fragility and other bone conditions with a risk of 40-50% among women and a 13-22% risk faced by men with growing age. Another article published by the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2021, estimated the geriatric population to increase globally from 1 billion to 1.5 billion people by 2032. The rising prevalence of arthritis, osteoarthritis, and other bone-related disorders, coupled with an increasing number of orthopedic procedures and various government initiatives to enable reimbursements for the patient population, is projected to augment the markets growth. The increasing urbanization and rising level of disposable income, the growing acceptance of implantable medical devices, and increasing expenditure on healthcare infrastructure are the major market drivers that will further escalate the growth of the orthopedic implants market.
Rise in Prevalence of Injuries to Drive Global Orthopedic Implants Market
As more youthful people partake in fitness & sports activities, the incidence of accidents associated with these activities has also increased. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, every year, more than 3.5 million children under the age of 14 are injured while playing sports or engaging in recreational activities. Sprains and strains are the most common injuries. As per global orthopedic implants market trends, the increasing number of accidents & injuries caused during traveling and adventurous sports, traumas, middle-age bone problems, and bone viscosity problems are streaming rapidly and helping to drive the orthopedic market growth. Additionally, the increasing prevalence of co-morbidities like diabetes & obesity has raised the incidence of degenerative joint disease, especially among the older generation. This has raised the demand for orthopedic implants around the globe.
Innovation in Orthopedic Implants to Support Market Growth
The demand for improved biomaterial-based implants with high strength and low wear in the orthopedic biomaterials market and the number of orthopedic implants has increased in both developed and developing countries. Innovations such as portable navigation to guide the surgeon through the implantation, completely remote robot-assisted orthopedic surgery, and Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered guidance software to assist the surgical procedures will have increasing applications in the market. Technologies such as minimally invasive surgery (MIS), custom-made implants, computer-aided implant fixation, and the development of variable axis screw systems have witnessed rapid adoption. Moreover, 3D printing in the production of specialized implants to develop a multi-layered composite implant is one of the primary orthopedic implants market trends in the production of these devices, with various key players investing in the technology owing to the ability of customization. The increasing support of governments across the globe toward domestic manufacturing and the development of innovative medical implants is anticipated to support the uptake of these innovations, thereby fostering the market for orthopedic implants. The combination of key players technical expertise and new players’ novel product techniques ensures the launch of new products with enhanced functionalities.
High Cost of Orthopedic Implants and Side Effects Associated with these Devices will Hamper Market Growth
The side effects of orthopedic implants post-surgery include implant rejection, septic arthritis, and osteomyelitis caused due to bacteria Staphylococcus and allergies due to metallic degradation, which creates health risks among patients and may adversely affect the markets growth. Additionally, the high cost of the orthopedic procedure, coupled with revision procedures to be conducted in a few years depending on the wear of the implant increases the total expenditure of the patient undergoing surgery and may decrease the adoption of the implant, which may further impede the market growth.
North America and Asia Pacific Witness an Uproar in the Orthopedic Implant Market
North America dominates the orthopedic implants market because of the presence of a well-defined regulatory framework and recommendations of government and healthcare agencies in this region. Additionally, the growing adoption of minimally invasive procedures will flourish the markets growth rate in this region. Asia-Pacific is expected to grow during the forecast period due to the rising level of disposable income and well-developed healthcare infrastructure in this region. Also, growing awareness about better and advanced orthopedic prostheses and developing medical tourism will propel the markets growth rate in this region.
Top Companies and Recent Strategic Developments
Key players including Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes (Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.), Smith & Nephew, and Stryker have consolidated the global market. The strong bone implant product portfolio and significant expenditure in research and development to introduce technologically sophisticated implants are credited with these companies dominance. Moreover, the rise in domestic market players focusing on developing customized implants is focusing on providing competitive pricing, which is further estimated to cater to the increasing demand among developing markets across the globe.
• In April 2022, eCential Robotics collaborated with Amplitude Surgical to develop a robotic knee surgery solution.
• In March 2022, Evonik announced the launch of its 3D printable biomaterials VESTAKEEP IC4800 3DF. The portfolio expansion focuses on offering innovation in osteoconductive PEEK filament, which improves fusion between bone and implant.
• In March 2022, Zimmer Biomet, a publicly traded medical device company, announced the launch of Walk AI, the companys first AI-based solution. The Artificial Intelligence model identifies patients predicted to have a lower walking speed post hip or knee surgery and adds powerful predictive analytic capabilities to ZBEdge™, a suite of integrated smart, digital, and robotic technologies.
• In December 2021, Health Canada approved its first domestically developed 3D printed implant Specific 3D mandibular plate.
• In November 2021, Smith and Nephew announced a cementless Total Knee System (TKS). The implant is made up of proprietary Conceloc Advanced Porous Titanium, patented for 3D printing. The implant is porous, promoting bone ingrowth.
• In August 2021, the FDA granted De Novo classification to the Persona IQ Smart Knee by Zimmer Biomet, making it a market-leading product.
• In January 2021, GOeasy, a leading market player in the orthopedics implants industry that manufactures instruments and implants for joint replacement procedures, disclosed its deal with PeekMed, a leading software technology industry developing a digital planning platform that is a powerful 3D preoperative tool.
• In January 2021, OrthoSensor, Inc., a company specializing in sensor technology for total joint replacement, was acquired by Stryker. Stryker intends to innovate and advance smart sensor technologies across its joint replacement business, including smart implants, intraoperative sensors, and wearables
Years considered for this report
• Historical Years: 2019-2021
• Base Year: 2021
• Forecast Period: 2022-2032
Orthopedic Implants Market Research Report Analysis Highlights
• Historical data available (as per request)
• Estimation/ projections/ forecast for revenue and unit sales (2022 - 2032)
• Data breakdown for application Industries (2022 - 2032)
• Integration and collaboration analysis of companies
• Capacity analysis with application sector breakdown
• Business trend and expansion analysis
• Import and export analysis
• Competition analysis/market share
• Supply chain analysis
• Client list and case studies
• Market entry strategies adopted by emerging companies
Industry Segmentation and Revenue Breakdown
Product Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Joint Reconstruction
• Hip Replacement
• Knee Replacement
• Shoulder Replacement
• Elbow Replacement
• Spinal Implants
• Spinal Fusion Devices
• Vertebral Compression Fracture (VCF) Devices
• Motion Preservation Devices/Non-Fusion Devices
• Trauma Fixation
• Metal Plates & Screws
• Nails & Rods
• Demineralized Bone Matrix (DBM)
• Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP)
• Viscosupplementation Products
• Synthetic Bone Substitutes
• Dental Implants
• Root Form Dental Implants
• Plate Form Dental Implants
Application Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Wrist & Shoulder
Biomaterial Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Metallic Biomaterials
• Stainless Steel
• Titanium Alloy
• Cobalt Alloy
• Ceramic Biomaterials
• Polymers Biomaterials
End User Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Orthopedic Clinics
• Ambulatory Surgery Centres
Region Type Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• North America (United States, Mexico, and Canada)
• Latin America (Brazil & Mexico)
• Europe (Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Netherlands, and others)
• Middle East & Africa
• Asia Pacific (China, India, South Korea, Indonesia, Australia, Vietnam, and others)
• Johnson & Johnson (DePuy Synthes)
• Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc.
• Stryker Corporation
• Medtronic Plc
• NuVasive Inc.
• Smith and Nephew Plc.
• CONMED Corporation.
• Arthrex, Inc.
• DJO Finance LLC
Available Versions of Orthopedic Implants Market Report:
United States Orthopedic Implants Market Research Report
Europe Orthopedic Implants Market Research Report
Asia Pacific Orthopedic Implants Market Research Report
India Orthopedic Implants Market Research Report
• Customization can be done in the existing research scope to cater to your specific requirements without any extra charges* (terms and conditions apply).
• Send us a query to get the Table of Contents and Research Scope along with the research proposal.
Fill out the sample request form OR reach out directly to David Correa at his email: -
Please fill in the form below to Request for free Sample Report
Office Hours Mon - Sat 10:00 - 16:00
Send Us Mail email@example.com
© 2018 Market Decipher. All Rights Reserved