Prefilled Syringes Market is segmented By Type (Safety Syringes, Conventional Syringes), By Design (Single Chamber, Dual Chamber, Multiple Chamber), By Material (Glass, Plastic), By Application (Chronic Disease Treatment Syringes, Vaccine Syringes, Anticoagulant Syringes, Acute Care and Specialty Syringes, Others), By Distribution Channel (Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies & Drug Stores, E-commerce), and By Country (U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Rest of South America, Germany, Italy, U.K., France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Turkey, Russia, Rest of Europe, Japan, China, India, South Korea, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Rest of Asia-Pacific, Saudi Arabia, U.A.E, South Africa, Egypt, Israel, Rest of Middle East and Africa)
The Prefilled Syringes Market was estimated at USD XX Billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD XX Billion by the end of 2032 with a CAGR of 6.7% during the forecast period.
A prefilled syringe is a single-dose packet of vaccine/drug to which a needle has been fixed by the manufacturer. Earlier metal or glass syringes were popular, but there has been a movement towards plastic and disposable syringes so the needle is protected and cannot be re-used, referred to as prefilled disposable systems.
Rising Demand for Biologics & Biosimilars to Aid Market Expansion
There has been a drastic shift from chemical-based drugs to biologics and biosimilars in the global life science industry. Biologics are excellent for targeted delivery and are less prone to drug-drug interaction, leading to increased inclination. The rise in biologics to treat chronic diseases has urged drug and packaging manufacturers to seek more sophisticated container closures and drug delivery systems. The increasing demand for biological drugs and growing innovations in injectable delivery solutions are driving the global prefilled syringes market growth.
Preference for Self-administrable Devices is Augmenting Demand for Prefilled Syringes
The rising incidence and prevalence of chronic and lifestyle diseases worldwide is a major driver of the prefilled syringes market. Chronic diseases, such as type 1 diabetes, are affecting huge masses of people around the world. Patients with type 1 diabetes receive insulin intravenously regularly to control their blood sugar levels. Insulin-dependent diabetics are increasingly turning to dependable and risk-free methods of self-injection such as prefilled insulin syringes as they make self-administration more convenient and viable due to their ease of usage. These reduce exposure to toxic spills while drawing medications from the drug vials as self-injecting devices with their pre-measured dosage reduce dosing errors and increase patient safety. The integration of autoinjectors and pen injectors with prefilled syringes is one of the major factors influencing the need for self-administrable devices. The demand for self-injection devices, such as saline syringes, is increasing owing to the convenience and safety associated with their usage. This growing preference for self-administration is anticipated to boost the prefilled syringes market size in the next few years.
Technological Innovations Boost Prefilled Syringes Market
The introduction of needlestick safety-equipped devices, advanced lubrication technology, and the type of multi-chamber syringes are all major technological developments in the syringe industry. Widespread usage of prefilled syringes has enabled pharmaceutical companies to reduce drug waste, while also increasing product lifespan. Prefilled syringes are regarded as the best method for storing medications, as they promote self-administration, reduce overfilled waste, and mitigate the risk of misuse. This benefits patient, healthcare practitioners, and manufacturers in equal measure. The double-chamber prefilled syringes are highly efficient for storing biological components that cannot retain their stability for a longer period and the growing penetration of lyophilized drugs worldwide is likely to surge the demand for these syringes.
Europe Dominates the Global Prefilled Syringe Market
Europe dominates the global market due to the increasing number of patients using biologics as treatment options for chronic diseases and the strong adoption of advanced delivery methods for the self-injection of drugs. North America is likely to hold the second-largest market share owing to the rise in several chronic diseases, such as diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis, increasing product launches, and the growing presence of leading players with strong distribution networks. The market in Asia Pacific is likely to witness fast-paced growth majorly due to the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, rising usage of these syringes, rising awareness regarding innovations, and significant growth in contract manufacturing companies outsourcing packaging & filling services. Meanwhile Latin America, Middle East & Africa regions are likely to experience slow growth in this market due to lower awareness about innovative products and slow penetration of the market.
Complex Manufacturing Process and High Cost to Hamper Market Growth
Prefilled syringes are becoming an increasingly attractive option for complex biotechnology products. However, the risk of impurities or leakage in the syringes restricts the market growth. Injecting air accidentally causes embolism and may result in lethal consequences. Thus, strict regulatory requirements and the manufacturing complexity of these products are major restraining factors for market growth. The cost of prefilled syringes as compared to disposable syringes is significantly higher as a result of the high expenses involved in their manufacturing. The development of alternate, cost-effective delivery methods for insulin, and the oral route of drug delivery becoming the most preferred way as it is easy to use, convenient, cost-effective, safe, and acceptable, is restricting the market growth for prefilled syringes.
Recent Strategic Developments
Becton Dickinson and Company (BD), Gerresheimer AG, SCHOTT AG, and West Pharmaceutical Services Inc. are the leading in this market with a strong brand presence combined with a wide range of product offerings. These players are likely to continue their dominance and generate significant revenue in the forthcoming years. They are constantly involved in robust research activities and continuous investments in innovative product development to launch a cost-effective and highly effective parenteral drug delivery system.
• In September 2022, Owen Mumford Pharmaceutical Services, a company of Owen Mumford Ltd., received approval for a combination product in Asia for its safety device named 1mL UniSafe for pre-filled syringes. 1mL UniSafe has also received regulatory approval in Europe. The medicine is currently available in the market as a combination product with a rheumatoid arthritis drug.
• In October 2021, West Pharmaceutical Services, a global leader in innovative solutions for injectable drugs and healthcare products, announced its latest offering for the domestic market in India with the launch of NovaGuard SA Pro Safety System, a single-use accessory for prefilled ISO standard 0.5mL staked needle syringes
• In July 2021, Owen Mumford Pharmaceutical Services unveiled its innovative Aidaptus auto-injector platform, which is a two-step, single-use auto-injector, spring-powered with a versatile design that fits both 2.25 mL and 1 mL prefilled glass syringes in the same base device
• In May 2021, Hypak SCF PRTC glass pre-fillable syringe was launched by BD to treat chronic disorders. Along with that, BD announced plans to spin out its Diabetes Care division as a separate, publicly-traded company ("NewCo").
• In April 2021, Packaging Nipro Pharma CURACASE was introduced which is an individually packaged product in a compact and well-designed hard-plastic packaging that takes up the least amount of space in secondary packaging. It enhances the company’s ability to manufacture and provide full injection systems to the pharmaceutical industry.
• In October 2020, SCHOTT AG and Credence MedSystems teamed up to use Credence Companion technology in conjunction with TOPPAC, which is a polymer syringe, and syriQ, which is a pre-fillable glass system. The two companies are likely to collaborate to integrate technologies and provide the pharmaceutical industry with a unique and new solution for injectable medicine administration using prefilled syringes.
Years considered for this report
• Historical Years: 2019-2021
• Base Year: 2021
• Forecast Period: 2022-2032
Prefilled Syringes Market Research Report Analysis Highlights
• Historical data available (as per request)
• Estimation/ projections/ forecast for revenue and unit sales (2022 - 2032)
• Data breakdown for application Industries (2022 - 2032)
• Integration and collaboration analysis of companies
• Capacity analysis with application sector breakdown
• Business trend and expansion analysis
• Import and export analysis
• Competition analysis/market share
• Supply chain analysis
• Client list and case studies
• Market entry strategies adopted by emerging companies
Industry Segmentation and Revenue Breakdown
Type Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Safety Syringes
• Conventional Syringes
Design Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Single Chamber
• Dual Chamber
• Multiple Chamber
Material Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
Application Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Chronic Disease Treatment Syringes
• Vaccine Syringes
• Anticoagulant Syringes
• Acute Care and Specialty Syringes
Distribution Channel Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• Hospital Pharmacies
• Retail Pharmacies & Drug Stores
Region Type Analysis (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2032)
• North America (United States, Mexico, and Canada)
• Latin America (Brazil & Mexico)
• Europe (Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Netherlands, and others)
• Middle East & Africa
• Asia Pacific (China, India, South Korea, Indonesia, Australia, Vietnam, and others)
• Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD) (U.S.)
• Gerresheimer AG (Germany)
• SCHOTT AG (Germany)
• West Pharmaceutical Services Inc. (U.S.)
• Helvoet Rubber & Plastic Technologies BV (Netherlands)
• Nipro PharmaPackaging International (Belgium)
• AptarGroup, Inc. (U.S.)
• Terumo Corporation (Japan)
Available Versions of Prefilled Syringes Market Report:
The United States Prefilled Syringes Market Research Report
Europe Prefilled Syringes Market Research Report
Asia Pacific Prefilled Syringes Market Research Report
India Prefilled Syringes Market Research Report
• Customization can be done in the existing research scope to cater to your specific requirements without any extra charges* (terms and conditions apply).
• Send us a query to get the Table of Contents and Research Scope along with the research proposal.
Fill out the sample request form OR reach out directly to David Correa at his email: -
Please fill in the form below to Request for free Sample Report
Office Hours Mon - Sat 10:00 - 16:00
Send Us Mail email@example.com
© 2018 Market Decipher. All Rights Reserved